With the New Year upon us we thought it might be a good time to take a peek at a few of the new attractions that will open to visitors at Walt Disney World during 2016.
1. New Star Wars Experiences
Whilst the promise of a full blown Star Wars land within Disney is still a few years away, there’s a range of exciting new stuff from a galaxy far, far away, coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios this year. In line with the release last December of Star Wars: The Force Awakens (you may have heard something about this?) Disney’s Hollywood Studios are launching, from the start of 2016, further expansions to their Star Wars offerings.
- A new adventure on the Star Tours – The Adventure Continues, based upon the recent new film. The Star Tours ride has a number of different adventure experiences, only a Jedi mind trick will allow you to know which adventure you take.
- Jedi Training – Trials of the Temple – one of the more popular attractions for kids at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, the Jedi Training school is getting a re-vamp this year with eager younglings will head to Jedi Temple for their training before a showdown with uber-villans Darth Vader and the Seventh Sister (from the Star Wars: Rebels animated TV series).
2. Let It Go at the New Frozen Attraction at Epcot
Fans of the mega-hit movie Frozen will be able to head over to Norway at Epcot’s World Showcase to see this new attraction inspired from the film. Queen Elsa (who else?) has created a special new day for the Winter in Summer Celebration with guests also able to pay a visit to Elsa’s Ice Palace.
3. Soarin’ Around the World – Epcot
Anyone who’s been to Walt Disney World in the past decade will tell you that one of the great family friendly rides across the entire resort has been the spectacular Soarin’ at Epcot. A ride that takes you flying high over the most iconic landmarks in America in an incredible blend of immersive film and swooping motion. Well, opening in the summer of 2016, Soarin’ is going global with the Soarin’ Around the World ride allowing guests to fly above some of the world’s most breathtaking natural and man-made landmarks. This will be a ride that will need careful planning with the Fastpass+ so book early.
4. The Invictus Games 2016
You may have seen some of the last Invictus Games on TV courtesy of Prince Harry’s heavy involvement. A sporting celebration for wounded servicemen and women – the Invictus Games comes to the USA for the first time in 2016 where it’ll be hosted at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports at Walt Disney World Resort.
5. New Places to Eat, Drink & Be Merry
Always looking to improve the dining options available each year, Disney will be offering more choice than ever in 2016 with a range of new restaurants, cafes and other establishments opening across the resort. These will include:
- Tiffins at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- STK steakhouse – Disney Springs
- The Edison – Disney Springs
- Sprinkles – Disney Springs
- Blaze Fast Fire’d Pizza – Disney Springs
- New Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen at Magic Kingdom Park – this is a cool sounding addition to the traditional Magic Kingdom eating options, offering ‘World Class Jungle Cuisine’ and themed areas within the restaurant itself.
6. Completion of Disney Springs
If you’ve visited Walt Disney World in the past then chances are you made some time to head over to Downtown Disney for a look around the shops and possibly something to eat. Or even to enjoy some evening entertainment. Well, as of last year, Downtown morphed into the all new Disney Springs.
Almost double the size of Downtown, Disney Springs is an exciting new area for the resort. Set around a theme of old Floridian waterfront destinations, this is the new home of non-theme park entertainment at Walt Disney World Resort. From a plethora of shops and the Disney Marketplace to a range of entertainment venues and dining outlets from fast food to fine cuisine, Disney Springs promises to be a must visit venue for some change of pace enjoyment on your holiday.